Degree Symbol is a small circle like symbol, that represents Degree. One can recognize it from its position. A small circle in the top-right corner of any letter or number. But Degree Symbol is not the only one that looks like this. There are many symbols with the same appearance at first glance but have entirely different meanings. We will discuss all of the degree symbol lookalikes and how they are different than Degree Symbol. So you don’t get confused ever.
List of Degree Symbol lookalikes
- Degree Celsius Symbol ℃ – This symbol is mostly the same as the degree symbol. You may even think it as Degree Symbol with alphabet C written along with it. But don’t let this fool you. This is an entirely separate symbol used specifically to denote Degree celsius. A common term for temperature.
- Degree Fahrenheit Symbol ℉ – Just like Degree Celsius, this symbol is mostly the same as the degree symbol. It might look like Degree Symbol with alphabet F written along with it. But don’t let this fool you. This is an entirely separate symbol used specifically to denote Degree Fahrenheit.
- Masculine Ordinal Indicator º – This symbol is used specifically to indicate that a number is an ordinal number. This is used by typing this right after a number. It is widely used in Italian or Western Europe.
- Superscript Letter O ᵒ – This symbol is a part of Latin Subscript Small Letter. These are specifically used for algebraic and chemical formulas. You can read more about them here.
- Ring Above ˚- This one is used in different languages as a part of their letters. It appears above the letter like ‘å’. Also known as Ring(diacritic), it is used in the Czech language.
- Combining Ring Above ◌̊ & Combining Ring Below ◌̥ – These are both the part of Ring Above symbol and are used at specific places in different languages for different purposes.
- Katakana-Hiragana Semi-Voiced Sound Mark ゜- This symbol is a part of the Japanese language and is used with the letters of their language to make sentences.
- Superscript & Subscript Zero ⁰ – These are part of Unicode subscripts and superscripts and have the same use as Superscript Letter O.
- Ring Operator ∘ – It is a symbol that is used in mathematics.
So these were the symbols that may look like Degree Symbol but are not. We have tried our best to distinguish them from the degree symbol by briefing you about them. Hope this helps you and you can identify degree symbol better than ever.